Double-Value Unicode?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sun May 18 04:15:23 EDT 2014

Perhaps it would be useful to know that such a pair represents single character when the first number is in the range 0xD800-0xDBFF and the second number is in the range 0xDC00-0xDFFF.  The pair represents a character with a code in the range 0x00010000-0x0010FFFF.

Conversely, only convert a code to two surrogates if it is in the range 0x00010000-0x0010FFFF.

There are no characters with codes above 0x0010FFFF.  No pair is needed for characters with codes 0x0000-0xFFFF.

From those, you can see that the full Unicode range is 0x000000-0x0010FFFF with a hole at 0x00D800-0x00DFFF for surrogates.

I see you have created a function to create a code (representing a character) from two surrogates.   I’ll leave that alone.

Dar Scott