properties vs local variable

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Mar 10 20:09:54 EDT 2014

On 10/03/2014 22:43, Peter Haworth wrote:
> If I remember the genesis of all this correctly, Terence wants to use a
> table made up of individual fields for each column because, amongst other
> things, you can't right justify data within a tabstop.

So he does need fields.

He can take advantage of inheritance for backgroundColor and foregroundCoor
    - create a group per line of display, with the fields for each
column within it

    - set the colors for the overall group, and only modify those for
lines which need it (as Mark did earlier)

    - set colors for those lines that need it (and inherit those
settings for all the columns in that line

I suspect that (along with other improvements earlier) would be enough
to make any further changes academic - and Terence should be wary of
spending mor effort on diminishing and unneeded returns.

But if there is still a real performance issue that is visible and
troubling, then we can start on harder measures.

The original problem was stated in the context of scrolling speed. If
that is scrolling by page, or to arbitrary scroll settings, that's
probably as good as we can do. But if the real problem shows up when
scrolling line-by-line, then we could consider a different approach. Use
the "group per line of display" as above, but instead of re-writing all
the lines of data just to scroll one line, simply re-position each
line-group, and write in new text values for the one line that has to be
newly displayed.

-- Alex.