Name shadows another variable

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Fri Jun 27 07:39:41 EDT 2014

On 27/06/2014 06:43, Peter Haworth wrote:
> Bottom line is, this shouldn't happen, there should be no need for any
> workaround.
>
> A recent thread talked about "paper cuts".  For me this is an open,
> festering wound!

I absolutely agree. And it's been festering for a long time.

One annoying thing about it is that its long term survival confirms the
suspicion that the RunRev development team don't routinely use
explicitvariable checks (otherwise it would have bothered them enough to
fix it by now). This failure to use a simple, easy safety mechanism
makes me worry about how quality conscious their internal development
processes are.

It should at least be possible to produce a "debug" version of the IDE
which would provide additional info in a log file or similar whenever a
"variable shadowing" error happens, in the hope that this additional
info would help to track it down. It's been occurring regularly, but
without being reproducible, for so long it might need an indirect
approach to get to the bottom of it.

-- Alex.