Maiden speech from an old man

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Jul 25 13:51:05 EDT 2014

On 7/25/2014, 11:20 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> To download for offline reading see Jacque's helpful tip on setting up
> email subscription for the entire forum:
> <http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2014-June/202871.html>

It's a stopgap solution that I use daily, but even so it doesn't provide
the same easy interaction that this list does. I don't have much time,
and even with the digest I still need to load the forums in a browser
and do all the clicking and page-loading and all the rest of it before I
can post. So I don't visit very often, and I only scan the digest
quickly to see if there is anything I feel is compelling enough to take
time to mess with a web browser.

Since the digest arrives only once a day, much of the content is old by
the time I see it. I have often clicked through to the forum with a
reply in mind, only to find that since the digest was compiled, it has
already been answered. Email is immediate and if I have a response, I
can send it in a few seconds and go back to my work. If someone else has
already replied, I already know that. There is no loading, no clicking,
no typing into a tiny text area (very difficult on a mobile device,) and
no waiting for the reply to be accepted to see whether I need to send it
twice because someone else has already answered while I was typing.

Reading conversations via a web browser is slow and tedious, which is
fine for those who have time to leisurely browse content. I would be
more apt to use the forum if posts would arrive one at a time,
immediately, and if I could reply via email so I didn't have to deal
with a web browser (in other words, if I could use it the way I use this
list.) As it is, I participate infrequently, and I suspect the
commercial developers here do the same because time is so limited.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com