Update of old apps

jbv at souslelogo.com jbv at souslelogo.com
Wed Jul 16 13:36:15 EDT 2014

Mark,
Thanks for your reply. From the economic side of the client/coder
relationship, that's more or less what I had in mind.
Nevertheless, I would once again like to see the strict technical side
of the problem. And perhaps another way to put it is to ask :
what is the life expectancy of an app developped today with LC 6.6,
especially with all the big changes announced for the near future ?
Of course, future versions of LC will provide backwards compatibility
for both the IDE and the language on one side, and for various OSes
and platforms on which they run on the other side; but when will all
this stop being great features to become a burden, especially
regarding maintenance of the app ? And then, the question of "how's
gonna pay for the upgrade/rewriting" adds another layer to the problem.

One situation might be when a new version of Mac or Win OS requires
recompiling the app with the latest LC version and doesn't lead to a 100%
bug-free standalone (which BTW can be caused either by non-compatibility
with original coding options, or by bugs in the latest LC engine)...
I'm afraid the final answer might be a case-by-case decision; but I still
wonder if any of you has already faced the problem and how it was
solved.

Thanks,
jbv