[OT] SWIFT

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 16:58:21 EDT 2014

On 14/07/14 23:45, stephen barncard wrote:
> Apple is touting this like the second coming....
>
> but... haven't we been doing this for a while in Revolution/RunRev/Livecode
> ?
>
> typeless
> just in time compiling
> prefab blocks
> easier than Obj C
> VERY FAST
> " it lets you write code on one side of your computer screen and see the
> results appear on the other side. In other words, you can watch your
> program run as you write it."
>
> wow. But it might not be cross platform.

‘People will jump to this new language because it’s so much easier to
code in. They have to use either Objective-C or Swift, and most people
will go for Swift.’

This is, of course, a silly trick: "either Objective-C or Swift"; let's
quietly ignore Livecode, Supercard
and a whole slew of other languages:

There are NOT only 2 object oriented/based computer languages.

What a lot of hype based on a bit of false logic!

"it's so much easier to code in." easier than WHAT? Bl**dy silly; no
point of comparison.

‘A lot of people were really put off by Objective-C and its unusual
syntax. Swift, with its more regular syntax, standard syntax, can really
help with getting those people interested.’

"9 out of 10 housewives surveyed wash their husbands underpants with
new, whiter, Swift."

These statements have absolutely no objective value whatsoever; only of
any use if they can
reel in the suckers who cannot tell valid statistics from cobblers.

---------------

Swift may be jolly good, and so on; but that article stinks of all the
cheap journalistic tricks in the book.

----------------

"Coders still need good reasons to make the switch from Objective-C to
Swift."

Really? What about the thousands, millions of coders who either have
never used Objective-C,
or have already 'switched' to another programming language?

Surely the sensible way to assess Swift is NOT to read silly articles,
but to download the language and
give it a try:

https://developer.apple.com/swift/

There goes next weekend!