Go to card [with effects] is slow on Android

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sun Jan 26 16:04:30 EST 2014

Hi Roger:

Unfortunately, the built-in transitions always seem laggy.  I don't know
for sure what's going on under the hood (bonnet?) but I imagine LC is
essentially creating screenshots of the current screen and destination
screen before executing the transition, and then generating the transition
effect with those images.  Combine this with the fact that most mobile
screen transitions are controlled by a swipe gesture where you can
partially swipe halfway across the screen, stop, and swipe back -- and
you'll quickly see that you can't recreate native transition behavior
using LC's built-in effects.

The limitations of built-in effects are compounded by the fact that only
one transition can occur at a time, while both iOS and Android often do
multiple transitions in multiple regions of the screen simultaneously.

Native mobile scrollers seem to operate in a similar fashion (using a
capture of the region to scrolled), but appear to be more optimized.  One
way (and it's likely an unrealistic way) to get closer to a more native
user experience would be to build all the screens of your app as subgroups
of one master group on a single card, with each subgroup spaced out the
width of the screen, add a horizontal native scroller, and use the paging
behavior of the native scroller to navigate between groups.

Of course, this is probably a solution for folks with strong thresholds
for pain and still plenty of hair on their heads.  Memory could be an
issue (both machine and human).

If somebody has a better solution for getting good native screen
transitions, I would love to see it.  :-)

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX/UI Design