[ANN] lcStackbrowser V2 Released

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Sat Jan 11 15:16:50 EST 2014

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Mark Wieder <mwieder at ahsoftware.net> wrote:

> Pete-
>
> Saturday, January 11, 2014, 9:05:38 AM, you wrote:
>
> The zero length file may be because I had a previous version
> installed. Copying the plugin from the zip file afterwards solved the
> problem, so I'm not concerned.

OK, maybe I'll delete the file if it exists before copying the new one.  I
know you figured it out but other folks may not be as smart as you :-)

> > I am using code from BvG Docu 2 to create a database of dictionary info
> > (with Bjornke's permission).  There's one database for each version of
> > Livecode  so it only happens the first time you use lcStackBrowser with
> any
> > particular Livecode version. The database is used to display dictionary
> > information when you click the "i" icon next to any built-in property in
> > the display, so that feature won't be available in Linux but you should
> get
> > just an empty display rather than any sort of run time error.
>
> !!! I wasn't aware of that feature. Yes, clicking on the "i" icon does
> indeed bring up the proper entry from the database. This is a great
> feature!

Glad you like it.  It's so easy to do this stuff once it's in a database.
 I really don't understand why the dictionary ended up being in such an
arcane format.

> > I wasn't aware Docu 2 didn't work under Linux, probably some difference
> in
> > the unnecessarily complicated file and stack structures that make up the
> > dictionary.  I think I will bow to Bjornke's knowledge in that area but
> > I'll probably put some checks in to issue some sort of message if running
> > under Linux.
>
> Bjornke has never claimed that the plugin works on linux. I've
> promised that I'll find some time some day to dig into what's
> happening, but that hasn't happened yet. I seem to remember that the
> database creation was one step that failed, and you seem to have
> gotten past that point. And Bjornke's plugin works fine for me on
> other platforms, and this should not in any way be taken as
> disparaging it.

Yes, it does sound like the db is created OK since you're seeing stuff from
it.  I did change Bjornke's code slightly to fit my needs, mostly removing
stuff to do with Hypercard, etc.,  maybe that's what did it.  Definitely no
disparagement to Bjornke, that's a really great plugin, so much better than
the IDE dictionary viewer.

On the topic of startup routines, there's another one that happens for each
new version of Livecode.  I check the propertynames contents against an
internal database  of property information and if there are any new ones,
figure out which objects they apply to and prompt for info about what type
of data they contain so I can edit them correctly.  The installed db is up
to date with property info up to 6.5.1.

Pete