Strange behavior of the IDE?

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 17:08:45 EST 2014

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 3:03 AM, Graham Samuel <livfoss at mac.com> wrote:

> The first line of the function has a breakpoint in it, but as soon as
> execution moves to the function, none of the breakpoints within it apply.
>
> As stated there is a syntax/logic error in the function. As Peter said put
a hard breakpoint as line 1 of the function, then comment out every other
line. You will now be able to step into the function - which proves there
is a problem within it*. Then systematically uncomment 50% of the commented
code. You should be able to quickly locate where the offending line is once
you are able to actually step into your function.

* On very rare occasions, I'm pretty sure associated with copying and
pasting code from online, I've had functions or scripts that don't behave
as they should. In this case I've cut the function/handler, or in extreme
cases the entire script out and pasted it into a text editor -
TextWrangleran excellent free one for Mac. I 'Apply' and Saved the
stack with the
offending piece missing. I then use BBEdit's (TextWranglers big brother)
Zap Gremlins function to remove all non ASCII, ASCII control and ASCII null
values. I then reinsert the code which is now plain vanilla text, 'Apply'
then save and things return to normal.