Support for Windows XP

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Feb 26 12:31:05 EST 2014

Lynn Fredricks wrote:

>> Dropping support for Windows XP would be fairly foolish
>> (while dropping support for 10.5 and lower will just elicit a
>> tired sigh);
>
> I think it's a really bad idea to embed something as important as this is a
> thread about 10.5.
>
> Check out this Computeworld article:
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9245966/Users_postpone_ditch_XP_decis
> ion_as_Windows_8_runs_to_stay_in_place
>
> This shows that XP accounted for 29.2% of desktop and notebook PCs as
> recently as last month. That's almost 5 x the number of all machines running
> Mac OS.

I promise this will be my last Linux fanboy post this week, but it's
relevant in reminding us that when it comes to expired systems we have

11 Percent of Windows XP Users Will Switch to Linux, Survey Claims
<http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/02/windows-xp-users-may-switch-linux>

This article notes that as of October there were about 500 million PCs
running XP:
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/01/six_months_end_xp_support/>

So if the survey methodology pans out, that'll mean roughly 55 million
new Linux installs.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World