AW: Support for Mac OSX 10.5

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Feb 26 12:00:35 EST 2014

Tiemo Hollmann wrote:
> Hi Matthias,
> thats what I did, and the installer of snow leopard told me, my hardware is
> out of date and incompatible.

I'm sorry to hear that.  Apple makes good computers, but their costs
average about twice that of PCs.  Good components and all that so I'm
not making a judgment about price, but it seems a reasonable expectation
that the company would support their products with at least critical
security updates for longer than 7 years.

In contrast, Windows XP is being EOL'd in April, more than 12 years
after its release.  Ironically, Microsoft scores lower than Apple in
customer satisfaction, even though they deliver a longer useful lifespan
for their systems.

I realize this may not be an option, but it seems hardly a month goes by
in which I don't stumble across yet another school in my area switching
to Ubuntu, so here goes:

If the school you work with needs to continue using computers Apple has
since rendered unsafe, Ubuntu or its lightweight variant Xubuntu will
probably run quite well on them, providing safe and efficient computing
which would likely extend the lifespan of those machines by at least
another couple years, possibly more.

If that may be an option you're welcome to email me directly and I can
put you in touch with local resources who can assist with that
transition.  Given the wide range of free software for education in the
Linux world, it may even help save quite a bit of money beyond the
hardware expense as well, and your school would enjoy the benefits of
completely owning their data with open formats.

In fact, my friend Liz is a contributor to the Edubuntu project, an
Ubuntu-based distro specialized for use in education.  It may be worth
trying that first to see if it runs well on your systems, since it comes
with many packages for education preinstalled:
http://www.edubuntu.org/

All Ubuntu-based distros can be run from DVD or USB drive without
needing to install, so you can evaluate the OS and check compatibility
without altering the computer in any way.

I'd be happy to lend some guidance porting your software to Ubuntu if
needed.  It probably won't take much, given LC's good support for Linux
these days.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World