Getting UTF8 data from Oracle, using revdb

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Fri Feb 14 14:35:38 EST 2014

I'm having trouble getting some data from an Oracle database using a LiveCode app.

The application is running on a Windows 2008r2 machine, addressing Oracle
Database 11g Release 11.2.0.2.0 - 64bit Production.

The particular column in the database is apparently in UTF8, according to the
Oracle SQL Developer application.  And making the SQL query in that app
returns the text as expected.  But making the query through the LiveCode,
characters such as the degree symbol, or a right single quote, come through as
"?".  I don't think this is happening in my script - I think that the data has
been pre-converted before LiveCode gets it.  (Unfortunately I can only access
the database by moving a compiled standalone onto the Windows 2008 machine and
running it there - I can't operate interactively.)

Does anyone have any experience of this, including that might confirm that it
should be possible?  If this was through ODBC I'd be looking at the DSN
properties for character set conversion, but for Oracle it's a direct driver,
so I don't know how this would work.

Is it possible that the Oracle driver is just so old (I can't see any evidence
that it's been updated for years) that it somehow connects to the database in
a way that causes the database not to offer it UTF8?

Any suggestions, tips, or personal experience gratefully received.

Ben