Defining Pet Features and Essentials

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Feb 12 09:58:54 EST 2014

Ender Nafi asked:

 > Does Livecode not need a revamped url library

It does indeed, on the Roap Map under "Queued".

 > modern limits for object sizes

Current object sizes go up to about 32' - how big do you need them?

 > an engine with enough horsepower for the year 2014 not for 2002?

Always a fan of performance boosts, but to move that forward let's look
at the areas of greatest interest:  what would you like to see faster,
text manipulation, math, object rendering, or something else?

 > Does Livecode not need multithreading, benefiting more from GPU?

At the engine level perhaps through compiler optimization.  But we've
been protected from most race conditions in xTalk thus far, so while I
like the idea of threading we need both a clean syntax proposal for
managing the thread overhead and strong learning materials so folks
don't just run off and start using them without the sort of deeper
planning thread work benefits from, wondering why nothing is happening
in the order they'd anticipated.

 > Does Livecode not need those features *more* than pluggable themes
 > and resolution independence?

The latter is done, no?  And I believe pluggable themes are in development.

 > Which ones are more important for a modern development environment?

Each of them, depending on who you ask. :)  Many of these are in
development now, while there are some aspects we can contribute to:

- What tasks would we like to see performance gains with first?

- What would a syntax for threading look like?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World