Installer advice needed

Marty Knapp martyknappster at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 13:48:47 EST 2014

I'm using Inno Setup on Windows. It's free and customizable. When I get
stumped on configuring it, there seems to be a lot of info out there by
doing a quick Google search. I also use the KSoft certificates, which
seem to be reasonably priced. The process of getting your certificate
can be a few days as they want to make sure you're legit. One thing they
wanted was my phone number listed with one of the big online
directories. I did that then it took a while before it would show up in
a search. Then they call you at that number as part of the process. If
your phone is already published somewhere you may be OK. Mine wasn't.

KSoft has a signing app too that works great and the whole process can
be configured in Inno Setup if you're using that. On Mac I've been using
App Wrapper. Great app, great support. Sometimes I make my own
installers for Mac just using a Livecode app with my app zipped and
stored in a custom property.

One thing I have run into are people who've switched from PC to Mac.
They don't always "get" disk images and will run the app off the disk
image. Then think the app got deleted when the disk image is dismounted.
I finally started putting a check in the startup routine to see where
the app is running from and then alerting the user that it isn't
installed correctly if it's from the disk image.

Marty Knapp