frequent crashes under 7.0.1-RC3

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 20:01:21 EST 2014

On Sun, Dec 14, 2014 at 11:16 AM, Richmond <richmondmathewson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 14/12/14 18:30, Dr. Hawkins wrote:
>

> If I do roll back, though, it's not going to be to wait for 7, but to get
>> by until I figure out how to transfer my effort to another platform
>> entirely.
>>

> "wait for 7" sounds odd as we, supposedly, have "7" as a done deal already.

"supposedly" being the magic word.  Calling any 7 to date "beta" would be
geerous, at best.

> Frankly, If I could roll back the clock two and a half years, I'd choose
>
>> something else.  Supercard 1.5 and Hypercard 2.0, with the addition of
>> database support, could have handled what I need (I can say that with
>> certainty because I actually implemented essentially the same program on
>> both twenty years ago, using cards in a stack as the "database").
>>
> I think your 'gripes' are because you have got onto the "constantly
> upgrading"
> conveyor belt, which, in my experience causes little but grief.
>
> My production work takes place on a 2005 G5 Macintosh running Livecode 4.5
> on Mac OS 10.5.8.
>
> I do my "Livecode playtime" on a machine running a recent Linux version
> and all Open Source versions of LC
> up to and including 7.0.1 rc3 - but I certainly would NOT transfer all my
> Pismo, Grendel and Devawriter code
> to anything more than 4.5 which has served me extremely well for the last
> 5 years.

I have no "playtime" for livecode; this is pure production work, replacing
something that worked for my own use.  *I* can do more with a spreadsheet
than I ever could with livecode or another pure programming platform; I
bought livecoe to implement for other people.  My purposes are purely
commercial, and I had no qualms about the $1k/year for the developer
license & suppot.

And then with kickstarterer, the working and stable version--for which I'm
licensed forever--is pretty much abandoned; end of life from before the
extra years.

> I am well aware that most people need something more contemporary than
> what I use,
> but my advice would be to find something that works (e.g. LC 5.5) on a
> system that works, and
> stick with it as long as possible.

At which point there's no reason for my having continued with newer
licenses . . .

If livecode wants to be  *commercial* license rather than a toy, it needs
to put out commercial grade software.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462