LC's standalone Maker

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Dec 6 14:53:16 EST 2014

On 12/6/2014, 10:38 AM, William Prothero wrote:
> Here is Sam’s response:
> ----------------------
> When it comes to bundles, there’s a golden rule (or many more).
>
> Main Executable application goes in the /MacOS folder.
> Additional executable code goes in /Frameworks, /Plugins, or /Helpers.
> Non executable files should go in /Resources
>
> So in theory your data files should be in the resources folder and the externals that LiveCode create should be in PlugIns (especially as they roughly conform to a bundle).
>
> It seems like LiveCode likes to have the data files in the /MacOS folder, you might be able to fool it by using a relative symbolic link, then again you may not.
>
> Have you spoken to any other LiveCode users on their forums or support about this?

LiveCode has already dealt with this and that's why you see two folder
structures. See the release notes for LC 6.7 under the heading
"Non-executable file redirection on Mac" which contains a full
explanation. If you aren't building with 6.7, you'll need to do that.

To preserve backward compatibility while still conforming to the new iOS
rules, an empty folder structure is created in the older location, and
the actual non-executable files are moved to Resources where Apple wants
them to be. The engine will look in both places so that your existing
scripts will work without errors.

I trust the team to know what Apple will accept, so I think you are
probably okay, though the explanation in the release notes doesn't
mention plugins so I'm not sure about those (you could ask support.) Do
not delete the empty folders or change anything in the bundle though.
The engine needs those to find your files.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com