[OT] Spies under the bed.

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Aug 31 16:08:13 EDT 2014

On 8/31/2014, 2:04 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
> Earthednet-wp <prothero at ...> writes:
>

>> An attorney relative of mine is a lawyer who specializes in "Drunk while
> driving" cases. He found that when
>> he sent emails to his clients using gmail, with the word "DUI", his
> clients, on their webmail pages, had ads
>> for "DUI" lawyers (his competitors) on their browser pages. Needless to
> say, he stopped using that word. I
>> guess that's the price of a free email service: marketing based on your
>
> LOL. Google is its own worst enemy sometimes.

You can turn off targeted marketing in Google's settings. I did that
immediately after setting up the account and I haven't seen anything
targeted to me (it's turned on by default, of course.) I also stay
logged out of Google except when specifically using one of their web
services, my profile contains almost nothing, and I don't participate in
Google+.

There's a way to check who Google thinks you are and what interests you.
I wish I could find the link again. When I last checked, it thought I
was a 35 year old male. I'm not sure about the male part, but I'd love
to be 35.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com