Should "dispatch" be extended for timers?

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Fri Aug 29 11:43:11 EDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 5:58 AM, Trevor DeVore <lists at mangomultimedia.com>
wrote:

> Given how dispatch works, I see 'send is' as being what you use if you want
> to execute some code after the current event loop has finished executing.
> The downside is that the syntax stinks. But if the syntax were updated so
> that it supported the same form as dispatch then I think it would be great.
> I imagine the engine could also improve the speed to be on par with
> dispatch as the engine would know that "someCommand" wouldn't contain any
> variables that had to be processed (e.g. "someCommand param1, param2").

I like that better than the original suggestion to change the dispatch
command.  Removes the confusion of checking the it and result variables
after a call to dispatch with a time on it.

One other question regarding send.  You can "dispatch function" - is there
a way to send a message to a function and get hold of the result (obviously
without a time specified)?

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>