Strange mailing list email.

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Fri Aug 29 11:38:38 EDT 2014

The article I linked to explains what's going on.  Pretty technical but
bottom line is that Yahoo and AOL changed their rules about what happens
when another mail server decides a message is spam.

There's a protocol (DMARC?) that mail servers use to ask the sending server
what they should do with messages that look like spam.  Yahoo and AOL
changed their response to that query a few weeks back from "do nothing" to
"bounce".

Under the "do nothing" rule, the receiving mail server was then free to do
whatever it usually does with spam.  Under the "bounce" rule, they bounce
the message back to the sending server (silently, meaning the sender
doesn't get a bounce message).

I guess messages to lists such as ours get caught in this  because of the
way the headers are changed by the list server software. Most receiving
servers recognize those changes and don't classify them as spam but the
DMARC rules take precedence over that.

Nobody seems to know why Yahoo and AOL did this but speculation is that
they suffered massive hack attacks that resulted in their users address
books being stolen.

I think messages ending up on the gmail spam folder are a separate issue.
 They're not getting bounced under the above scenario, they're just getting
caught in gMail's spam detection algorithms. I use gMail and very
occasionaly a message to the list used to go to my spam folder before I set
up a filter similar to Peter Brigham's

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>