Size of window between close/startup

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Aug 27 16:15:59 EDT 2014

On 8/27/2014, 1:24 PM, Terence Heaford wrote:
> The stack size was 1660 x 1002 as expected but the top of the window
> is now underneath the menubar.

Yes, it will be if the stack is taller than the available screen space,
or the top is above the menu bar when its centered on screen. You can
push it down using the message box or a script: set the top of this
stack to 45.

> I read the dictionary entry for windowboundingrect and it says:
>
> "The windowBoundingRect value is checked against the window's
> position before the preOpenStack message is sent. This means that if
> you want a stack to extend outside the windowBoundingRect, you should
> set its rectangle  property to the desired value in a preOpenStack
> handler. This ensures that the window is enlarged to the size you
> specify before it appears, instead of being resized when the
> windowBoundingRect is checked."
>
> So, unless I am misunderstanding (probably) this suggests that I have
> to save the rect of the window somewhere and resize the window on
> opening in the preOpenStack handler?

Yes, or reference something in the stack that's the right dimensions.
I'm working on a stack where a background image is the same size as the
stack, so I just set the width and height of the stack to the width and
height of that image. If you know you'll never change the dimensions,
you can just hard-code a width and height into the preOpenStack handler.
You probably shouldn't hard-code an exact rectangle because that
rectangle may not be accurate on a monitor of a different size.

> Does this also apply to standalone apps?

In standalones, I believe the windowboundingrect is restricted only by
the OS "furniture" -- menubar, dock, task bar, etc. and is basically the
"working screenrect". If your stack fits inside that area you won't have
to worry about it. The IDE sets the bounding rectangle much smaller to
accomdate its own palettes, but that's not the default.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com