iPhone kiosk

Mark Wilcox mark at sorcery-ltd.co.uk
Mon Aug 25 15:31:38 EDT 2014

Jailbreaking is a pain - do you really need it? I ask because iOS has a
kiosk mode - look up "Guided Access". If you have to jailbreak you
always get new devices with the latest firmware and then have to wait
for someone to create a new jailbreak.

If you retain control/ownership of the devices then you can use an
enterprise developer account for production and manage updates with a
Mobile Device/Application Management solution - MDM can also trigger
"single app mode" (not sure how this is different from Guided Access)
remotely. There are third party solutions and Apple provides a basic
free one (called Profile Manager) that ships as part of OS X Server
(which you can have a copy of for free with an iOS developer account).

Updating apps by simply downloading a new stackfile is entirely doable
in an iOS device - as stated by others, it's just against the app store
rules. That doesn't let you update LiveCode itself though, in case you
ever need that.

I think the key consideration around updates is how the app will get
updated if it is always running. For that I think you probably need a
MDM solution so you can release the device from single app mode, update
it and put it back into single app mode.

Of course the devil is in the details but I recommend looking into all
of the legitimate solutions before going down the jailbreak route.

--
  Mark Wilcox
  mark at sorcery-ltd.co.uk