Helping newcomers anticipate that standalones can't save to themselves

Alain Farmer alain_farmer at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 15 14:50:39 EDT 2014

Paul Hibbert wrote: "My biggest frustration at the time was the disjointed documentation and
lack of structured tutorials, many people have also made the same
comments over the years. I feel the tutorials especially have improved
and the documentation is improving slowly. Thinking back to when I discovered that I needed (...), again I had to do more research to find out what was needed
until I eventually understood the reasons and principles behind this
process. Maybe this could be addressed with a good, well structured "My
First Application" tutorial that ships with each new user download, or a package that's easily visible and readily available for new users to
download. Currently there is just a free mobile template that tries to
entice users to download the community version. I'm sure there are enough teachers and ex-teachers on this list that could
maybe help with this. A well structured tutorial can help to guide the
new user with the right techniques from the start.

I share this frustration, Paul. Lack of documentation, tutorials, and ready-to-reuse stacks is crippling; especially for newbies, but also for seasoned veterans of xTalk (like myself and many oldies on this list). It's my background in HyperCard+MetaCard, aka experience, that keeps my head-above-water. After a couple of months of experimentation, I have finally mastered LC's grep, but I'm still struggling with rev's XML (and with unicode too); no time yet to dig deep into data-grids, database connectivity, http messaging (LC as web client), etc. The lack of docs, tutorials and ready-to-reuse stacks are hampering process of training the pupil I'm currently training. If Runtime wants more users, and I'm sure they do, they would do well to address this ongoing issue. For my part I would be willing to craft some training tools and materials (ex: how-to match using regex), but time is cruelly-short at this time. Keep swimming ... you'll get to the other side!
 :)
Alain