Helping newcomers anticipate that standalones can't save to themselves

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Fri Aug 15 13:31:55 EDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 9:20 AM, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com>
wrote:

> Yet somehow even among young people, who've never used HC and in a world
> where they've never seen any application save to itself, find themselves
> with the expectation that this should be doable.

It's what people new to programming (yet are frequent users) expect in an
app today, with apps like Final Cut Pro X , iTunes, iPad, most Apple OEM
apps requiring no 'saving'.  Thanks go to apple, although I'm sure this is
the way android apps are expected to work too.  These folks may not have a
concept of saving anything or worse, WHERE is being saved...

All these apps go out of their way to obfuscate the location of discrete
files 'so we won't have to worry our pretty little head' about them. Drives
me nuts.

Is Windoze/MS going that direction?

*--*
*Stephen Barncard - San Francisco Ca. USA - Deeds Not Words*