externalPackages

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Aug 13 18:25:54 EDT 2014

JB wrote:

 > Changing the subject a little bit you mentioned
 > LiveCode is going to improve things so you can
 > actually do more external type code from within
 > LiveCode.  Are they going to be using Apples new
 > programming language Swift at all?

I don't think so.  Swift is a very interesting language (made by the
same super-genius who made the ground-breaking LLVM), but as far as I
can tell Apple intends to make it available only for use on their own
platforms.  So for an omni-platform tool like LiveCode, Swift is a
non-starter.

Instead, the new language for widgets in LiveCode will be...LiveCode! :)

New extensions to the LiveCode language are in development to allow us
to not only make custom controls that behave more like built-in
controls, but also directly talk to the OS APIs - see this video from
Kevin with a sneak preview of what they're working on:

<http://livecode.com/blog/2014/07/08/the-next-generation-widgets-themes/>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems