Standard Library

JB sundown at pacifier.com
Sat Aug 9 21:08:42 EDT 2014

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the fast reply.

I was searching for a way to get file info so I could
display things like the size and creation date and
after using google I saw a post that you answered
and you provided the handler to do it.  Eventually
I somehow ended up finding a download but I do
not remember where.  I do know that I downloade
it many years ago so I already had it.

As I mentioned the part I was interested in mainly
was file info so I did not need to use the default
folder to get the info.

Concerning the framework or handlers I definitely
would prefer to use handlers and then I can use
what I want and not use globals.

It seems to me a lot of people probably will eventually
find a need for one or more of these handlers and the
more made available the better off the community will
be.

My use will be simple at this time and will not really be
a modification.  I am going to be using ListMagic to put
the name of a file the user will enter and I wanted to
have the file listed in the same way the finder shows it.

One of the things I am interested in seeing more handlers
and examples is regex.  It seems to be a very powerful
tool with very few LiveCode examples.

Another good idea would be the command line examples.
I was able to get a command line to do what I wanted but
this took many hours and needed s special way of writing
it.  Phil Davis has some examples that show how to access
the manual in the terminal but those examples do not work
with using the command line that I wanted which was xxd.

A question about using command lines is can they be used
in a commercial product and is there any possible reason a
command line that is being used in LiveCode today won’t be
able to be used for some reason or another in the future.  If
so this can cause a complete failure of a good program and
is risky business to say the least.  As for xxd the manual list
the person who wrote it and he states anyone can use it free
of charge but if you make money he would like you to share.
I do not think he wants a royalty on a continuous basis but he
would appreciate a little bit of money.

thanks again,
John Balgenorth