[TAO] value() to obtain pointer functionality

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 20:51:01 EDT 2014

On Sun, Aug 3, 2014 at 5:52 AM, Peter Haworth <pete at lcsql.com> wrote:
> Here's the one that catches me every time:
>
> set the (<any expression here>) of button "xyz" to 10

I've just checked the latest stack I'm working on and I have 63 of
these statements and they all work fine.

A common example is for my many Option Menus:

set the cScriptRunning of btn "Choices" to true -- or false

Inside that btn the script looks like this:

on menuPick pItemName
  if (the cScriptRunning of me is false) then
    set the cScriptRunning of me to true

    --do all you need to do here

  set the cScriptRunning of me to false
  end if
end menuPick

This allows me to preselect default values for Option Menus without
running their scripts:

set the cScriptRunning of btn "Choices" to true
set the menuHistory of btn "Choices" to 26
set the cScriptRunning of btn "Choices" to false

It also ensures where there are complex interaction between different
Option Menus - clicking one will effect the values and preselected
option in another - that I don't get into a infinite loop and that the
scripts for each Option Menu are only run once.

So that is two examples, one of a custom property, and one of an
inbuilt property, where your syntax works perfectly for me.

I'm on OS X 10.9.4 using LC 6.6.2GM