the menuBar and the EditMenus

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Apr 12 02:31:04 EDT 2014

On 4/11/14, 10:54 PM, Kay C Lan wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 1:54 AM, J. Landman Gay<jacque at hyperactivesw.com>wrote:
>
>> >Dr Raney always advised that we should create the menu bar first and
>> >position all objects relative to that. That way, everything just works.
>> >
> It wasn't until I followed this very simple advise, started over from
> scratch... and then the penny dropped.

I was a little disingenuous. What really happened was I wrote Raney a
nice little rant in email, I was frustrated and royally PO'ed. Sort of
like you were, along with the other people who get bit by the same
thing. I thought it was ridiculous and frustrating and stupid. He
basically wrote back and said "don't do that." So after that I didn't,
and like you, I changed my mind.

One thing that LiveCode has over MetaCard in this respect is that if you
decide to add a menu later on, the menu builder tool will push all the
objects down for you and make space at the top of the card. MetaCard
didn't do that, which is why I had to write a "pushdown" handler to
accomodate all the HyperCard conversions I was doing. I don't have to
use that much any more.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com