the menuBar and the EditMenus

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 23:54:19 EDT 2014

As I said, I'm no cross platform expert, so years ago when I tried to make
something for my brother I got all built everything and then trying to go
back and add a menubar. IMHO I thought Runrev had completely screwed up
what should have been a relatively simple exercise

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 1:54 AM, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com>wrote:

> Dr Raney always advised that we should create the menu bar first and
> position all objects relative to that. That way, everything just works.

It wasn't until I followed this very simple advise, started over from
scratch... and then the penny dropped. As you say, everything just works.
Of course the real problem was my bigoted Mac attitude and my lack of
thought that some people out there actually need a menu in the app window.
So with my Windows brother in mind I built a menubar and then added my
appiness below it. From then on those clever people at Runrev had made it
incredibly simple.

In one respect I think those on Windows who then make a Mac version have a
slight advantage in that they intuitively know they have to have a
menubarat the top of their window and so don't put objects at the very
top of
their stack. Mac users new to LC trip over this all the time.