The 'For Vaughn' stack...

FlexibleLearning.com admin at FlexibleLearning.com
Sun Sep 15 04:04:29 EDT 2013

Hi Jacque,

I wrote it to demonstrate to Vaughn exactly what you said ("We have some
terrific building blocks and we can make almost anything out of them"), more
to assist his 'learning curve' than a 'final solution'.

Beginner's luck to choose this as his first foray into LC! It is a
challenging problem, and I am by no means convinced that I have found a
generic solution, let alone a truly elegant one. What would be really cool
is if others could collectively improve on it, but I'm not sure how we could
do this in real time.

The starter stack is here: www.flexiblelearning.com/currencyfields.zip

cc'ing the list in case anyone else wants to chip in. Am happy to upload
improvements/alternatives but, as above, not sure how we handle version
control unless by judicious commenting.

Best and hugs,

Hugh Senior
FLCo

On 9/14/13 1:34 PM, Vaughn Clement wrote:

> I am starting to see a
> trend in the conversation in the How To email that is out to defend LC to
> protect the standards of usage. I am not saying this is good or bad, but I
> wonder if this will impede the future growth of what was once a very
simple
> product named HypeCard?

I think it's more that we know how the engine works and why it works
that way, and what would break if it were changed. The stack you
received shows what can be done with the primitive elements that
LiveCode offers -- that's "primitive" in the sense of "basic", not
"undeveloped." We have some terrific building blocks and we can make
almost anything out of them.

By the way, the mailing list doesn't allow attachments, so you probably
received that stack in private mail. It sounds like a good candidate for
the User Samples area if it isn't in there already, maybe the author
will consider uploading it there.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com