copy on a group loses the htmltext of fields

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sat Sep 14 14:05:43 EDT 2013

Richard-

Saturday, September 14, 2013, 8:06:43 AM, you wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 5:47 PM, J. Landman Gay
> <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:
>> A field with shared text will not keep its text when it is copied or placed on
>>another card, presumably because each card has its own text.  A field
>>without shared text will carry its text with it.

> Thank you--but is this backwards?  I clicked the share text button,
> which set sharedText to true, and they copy over nicely . . .

Yes. When you copy and paste a field, you're doing just that, not
copying and pasting the contents.

Here's the thing: if a field has shared text then there's only one
copy of the text, and all the multiple views of that fields are
looking at the same copy. When you copy the field onto a new card it's
just a window into that single copy of text, and so it appears that
the text has been copied as well.

If shared text is disabled, then each copy of the field has its own
contents. When you copy the field all you're copying is the field
itself and the newly pasted copy will have no contents. To copy the
field contents into the new field (if desired) you'd have to select
the field contents, copy and paste into the new field.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net