Layering problem when using video

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sun Sep 1 15:46:16 EDT 2013

Hi Tom:

Is this a desktop application?  If yes, then you might have a couple of
options.

1) Set the alwaysBuffer of the player to true.  This will layer the movie
in among the card objects, but depending on your content, performance may
suffer -- you'll have to test.  And you'll likely have to create separate
player controls since (AFAIK) the default controller is not responsive in
this mode.

2) If the above doesn't work well enough, you can try overlaying a
separate palette window that contains the text with a custom window shape
above your mainstack with the video.  You can do some cool effects with
this technique but the drawback is if the user moves the mainstack window
while the text overlay window is present -- you'll need to keep the
locations of the two stacks synched.

Maybe one of these will work for you, but of course, desktop only.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX/UI Design