"Introducing New LiveCode Licenses"

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 15:09:20 EDT 2013

On 10/28/2013 07:38 PM, Heather Laine wrote:
> We replaced it with the free, open source edition.

A free, open source edition is NOT in any way whatsoever the same or the
equivalent of a $20 a month
commercial licence, and it is slightly disingenuous to suggest they
might in some way be equivalent.

One offers the ability to produce close source work which other people
will find hard to steal, while the other produces open source work that
is up for grabs for anybody who wants it.

Why not say this sort of thing?

The $20 a month wasn't bringing in the sort of moolah we need, so what
we did was dump it, and you can either go for the open source solution
(with the concommitent risks involved if you decide to try to make money
out of your open source offerings) or stump up a rather larger sum for
the, undoubted, benefits you will get from the commercial version.

Also, RunRev may have got wind of sneaky characters like myself, who
would work on a bit of software as long as they liked on the community
version until it were "just right" and then pay ONLY $20 for a month's
go with the commercial version to pump out a code-protected standalone.

Now, if that is the case, I cannot but agree with RunRev; they were
leaving themselves wide open to abuse.

> Great to hear you're giving a talk, we'd love to hear how that goes! Please do feel free to email support at runrev.com if there is some way we can assist either with materials or license options.
>
> Regards,
>
> Heather
>
> On 28 Oct 2013, at 17:11, Rick Harrison wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> What ever happened to the $20 per month pay as you go commercial license?
>>
>> I have to give a talk about LiveCode to a bunch of developers this
>> coming week, and that was an attractive license for them to get started.
>> Is that gone now?

Hey, want to hear a very old story about the chap who gave with one hand
while taking away with the other?

Or, put another way: you cannot keep all the people happy all the time.