Scaling an Image to a Rect

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Oct 15 18:19:26 EDT 2013

Dan,

What you're doing now will work most times, but not always, because it
calculates the ratio to use based on which dimension is larger, rather
than on which ratio is the larger. If you had an image that was 400x100
(i.e. panorama) and wanted to fill a rect (say 200x180), your code would
    - get true for the first if-test (image is wider than high)
       - then get false for the inner if-test (rect is not taller than wide)
             (so picking the second set of calculations to do)
       - then calculate 400 / 200 ---> 2.0 for tRatio
       - set the width to 200 (correctly)
       - set the height to 100 / 2 ---> 50, so not filling the rect.

The easy way to solve the scaling part of this one is to remember that
you want to scale the image by the same ratio in both directions, and
that the ratio to use should be the value that will fill the rect in
both dimensions. So you do something like (beware : untested code !!)

on resizeImage pImageID,fRectH,fRectW
   put the formattedWidth of pImageID into fImageW
   put the formattedHeight of pImageID into fImageH

put fRectH / fImageH into tH
    put fRectW / fImageW into tW
    put max(tH, tW) into tRatio

    set the width of image pImageID to tRatio * fImageW
    set the height of image pImageID to tRatio * fImageH

on the same example as above, this gets
    180 / 100 --> 1.8 for tH
    200 / 400 ---> 0.5 for tW
    1.8 ---> tRatio
and therefore sets the image width to 400*1.8 (i.e. 720) and the height
to 100*1.8 (i.e. 180)
so an awful lot gets clipped, but it does fill the rect.

-- Alex.