Feedback request: getProp/setProp and lockMessages

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 13:46:46 EST 2013

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 12:19 PM, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com
> wrote:

> I wonder if there might be some other global property - perhaps the "
> killEveryMovingFanBladeSoICanStickMyFingersBetweenThem" - that could help
> with such diagnostics.
>
> Of course I'm joking about the token name, but this seems like something
> rarely needed though useful when it is, and arguably should extend to all
> custom message (send, dispatch, etc.).

This was going to be my one suggestion. Otherwise, I'm all for this. I
think your proposed syntax is a little verbose -- how about
seriouslyStopSquirming?  ;-)

Actually, in a sense, isn't there a parallel to <some dusty memory I have
of past computer usage> levels of execution privilege: system messages are
0, getprop and setprop are 1, code explicitly called by the current handler
is 2, the current handler is 3, and the message box is 4. That way you just
set the privilege level required to execute -- the engine could even have
some way of interrupting everything to set the execution level for when we
get stuck in a bad place, so it would be easy to set to 4, then save, or
save as, etc. and things like lock messages could be synonyms for setting
the execution level.