More on Resolution Independence

Colin Holgate coiin at verizon.net
Sun Nov 17 18:00:55 EST 2013

I’m currently writing about the resolution stuff, which doesn’t mean I yet understand it, but I do have to work out these things before I can then write something!

One point of confusion is that you use 'iphoneUseDeviceResolution true' when you don’t want it to use the better graphics. That feels like the opposite of what it meant, but it’s not.

So, include files named “whatever.png” and “whatever at 2x.png”, and with code set the filename of an image to “whatever.png”. Now test with Simulator 6.1 and a device of old iPhone, and you will see “whatever.png” is used. Without re-testing, change the device to 3.5 inch Retina, and launch the app again. The “whatever at 2x.png” will be used.

I found it much easier to figure this out by writing “512” and “1024” on the two versions of the image I was testing.