Algorithm for Direction Change upon Collision

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Nov 8 15:16:34 EST 2013

Ender:

I thought RunRev recently added something along the lines of a collision
message, but I can't find anything in any of the help references.  It
might be that intersect() is the only option available for collision, but
if so, it seems impractical to use it in a looping script on a lot of
objects.  Somebody like Geoff Canyon or John Craig may know a better way.

I tried to briefly play around with this and updated the swarm stack I
made a long time ago to make it run better.  It does fine detecting the
edges of the card, but when trying to detect all possible collisions slows
way down.
Message box:  go url
"https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7192863/LCtest/swarm2.livecode"

Changes added:
- object arrays
- moving objects are now images with dynamic layerMode
- acceleratedRendering for the stack

There is a rudimentary collision handler in the card script than can be
turned on/off, and the performance difference is substantial.  Without an
engine-based message devoted to collision, I don't immediately see a way
to handle this efficiently.  But again, somebody else may have a better
idea.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director