Misunderstanding developer previews versus release candidates

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Thu Nov 7 12:49:53 EST 2013

On 07.11.2013 at 14:36 Uhr +0000 Kevin Miller apparently wrote:

>The purpose of having two cycles going at once is in direct response to
>customer demand! It is an innovation, a benefit created by our increased
>engineering capacity. Those commercial customers with complex shipping
>software are slower typically to jump from a 6.1 to a 6.5 or a 7,
>preferring to align such a shift with a new project or major upgrade of
>their own software. Creating an additional release with bug fixes in it
>helps us serve those needs better. History suggests that a x.x.x release
>will take far fewer RCs than a x.x release so the chances are that this
>will allow us to bring those fixes out faster.

Richmond, the above is the actual response to your question. You got
used to the development of Revolution/LiveCode being a single line
(trunk), that is fixing bugs in the previous version was abandoned as
soon as a newer version was released. Everyone who wanted bug fixes
needed then to move to that newer version. Getting bug fixes on older
versions (branches) supports the developers at large better since
moving some, particularly bigger, projects to a new version is not
always trivial or possible for external reasons. This new feature
might not be interesting or useful to you, but it is surely welcome.

RObert