Learning by... Avoiding mistakes

Jerry Jensen jhj at jhj.com
Sat Mar 23 20:52:27 EDT 2013

On Mar 23, 2013, at 5:35 PM, Mark Wieder <mwieder at ahsoftware.net> wrote:

> Cal-
>
> Saturday, March 23, 2013, 4:09:34 PM, you wrote:
>
>> How many of you use programming flowcharts to prove your answer before you
>> actually begin to code?
>
> Where flowcharting starts to fall apart though, is with asynchronous
> events - you end up with loosely-coupled pieces of flowcharts.

I recently did a job where I had to poll two asynchronous serial ports. Timing had to be somewhat interlocked. Some input was response to stuff I sent, including verifying echos, and some was volunteered by the devices. I really really needed that flowchart. As I was puzzling over it, the client looked over my shoulder and asked "What are you doing, drawing cartoons?" 8-)

.Jerry