SQLite data storage

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at icloud.com
Thu Mar 21 12:14:07 EDT 2013

I hope nobody minds that I ask this here. While it's not specifically about LiveCode, the database I'm asking about will be used for a LiveCode app. :-)

I need some advice/pointers on how best to store some static "read-only" data in a SQLite database. We're talking potentially thousands of records. I've been given an Excel spreadsheet with 24 sheets containing data to import. There are about 12 fields/columns. The data is separated into 24 sheets, but it could potentially all reside in one table in the database (fields are the same on each sheet). The question is, should I do that? Will SQLite bog down after a while? This new app we're working on will need constant access to this database, probably via several open record sets at once. I'm just trying to figure out if it would be best to store everything in one large table, or to split each sheet of data into its own table. Would that be more efficient? Or would it be even better to have each sheet in its own file? Also, are there specific settings/properties I should set on the db to help keep performance as optimal as possible?

Just brainstorming here. Would love to hear opinions, especially if someone out there is a SQLite guru. :-)

Thanks,
Chris

--
Chris Sheffield