Keys of a custom property array

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Mon Mar 4 00:23:31 EST 2013

Pete-

Sunday, March 3, 2013, 7:56:53 PM, you wrote:

> Richard,
> I think your explanation of how arrays stored in cprops are translated back
> and forth between internal and external storage explains the the
> performance differences in Mark's tests.

Jacque's tests actually, not mine. I just suggested that there might
be a difference. And even in Jacque's tests it's not quite clear what
the engine is doing under the hood. In the second of her tests, the
one that takes ten times as long, she's explicitly loading the custom
property each time through the loop; while the faster repeat loop is
no doubt using a cached copy. I can't at the moment think of how to
run a test that separates these things, but that could be because I've
been working on a bottle of Laphroaig and I'm not about to do anything
with my computer right now other than send out silly emails.

> I am curious though about your comment on storing multi-dimensional arrays
> in cProps.  Are you saying it's not possible to store multi-dimensaional
> arrays in cProps?  I was hoping to do that in a project I'm about to start
> on.

Multidimensional arrays can most definitely be stored as custom props.
Unraveling them can be a bit weird, but yes.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net