Resolution independence (sort of) today

Chris Sheffield cmsheffield at icloud.com
Fri Mar 1 12:19:05 EST 2013

Graham,

In the case of One Minute Reader, it would kind of depend. Most of the time we used larger "retina" images and then scaled them down via script for the lower resolution iPad. This worked well, it's fast, and quality was pretty decent. There were exceptions to this where sometimes it was required to use two sets of images. You kind of just have to experiment to find what works best.

As for graphic objects those scale very nicely.

Are you using Scott Rossi's tmControl by chance? He has some great ways there to scale objects between retina and non-retina. It would require some setup if you're not already using it, but would be well worth it in my opinion. Using tmControl, you can specify a property on any object (fields take a little extra work) to have it automatically scale and reposition itself. And since you're only using one orientation (landscape) that makes things even easier.

If you need more info, let me know.

Chris

--
Chris Sheffield