[on-rev] LC code output bumping against a server size limit?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jun 29 17:28:01 EDT 2013

Phil Davis wrote:

> I wrote support and Heather responded:
>> Dear Phil,
>>
>> Thank you for your request. Yes, this could be a server limit. If you go here:
>>
>> http://www.watters.ws/mediawiki/index.php/Use_custom_php.ini_file_with_suPHP
>>
>> You will find some instructions which should enable you to set this for yourself.
>> Please let me know if you have any difficulty or if this turns out not to be the
>> issue.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Heather
>
> So I'll take a look at this link and see what I can do with server
> settings. I know you can alter the default PHP settings by putting a
> custom php.ini file (containing only the settings you want to change) in
> the directory that holds your php page, and it looks like the above link
> tells how to do something similar on an on-rev server.

I believe php.ini is read by the suPHP executable rather than Apache, so
for there to be a similar file for LC Server the LC Server engine would
need to expect such a thing.

If my understanding is correct, unless there's some spec for an ini file
for LC Server that I haven't come across, CGI memory allocation would
need to be adjusted at the root level, perhaps with the suEXEC settings,
but those aren't normally the sort of thing that a host provides to
shared accounts.

But then again, I could be wrong.

Please keep us posted with what you find.

I've been pondering the memory implications of multiple CGI instances on
shared hosts, so this topic is of keen interest to me.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World