6.1

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Wed Jun 12 22:11:57 EDT 2013

On 13/06/2013, at 11:32 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

>  like where you're going with that.  It may also be helpful to be able to get a list of just the names, without the values, for a given object, similar to "the propertyNames" but limited to those relevant to the specified object:
>
>  get the propertyNames [of <obj>]
>
> Whenever I'm teaching someone new to the language, one of the first questions that comes up is "What properties are available for each object?"
>
> Extending the propertyNames function this way helps, allowing us to make learning tools easily as well as inspectors and more.

That's a good idea but is a separate slightly related topic... perhaps raise it on the engine forum... would you want read only properties returned there.. what about synonyms... there's lots to be discussed along with finding someone prepared to implement it...

> In conjunction with Peter's proposal above to also return prop values, we'd have a pretty complete set of stuff that way.

I've got no problem with there being unset values returned... I think it was runrevmark that wanted that... there is an issue with some properties like color/pattern that overwrite each other so you can't return both if you want things to work right...

Folks this has all been discussed out in the open on the engine forum... it's a dp 1... don't panic just post on the engine forum topic...

--
M E R Goulding
Software development services

mergExt - There's an external for that!