[OT] What's happening here in Turkey...

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Jun 8 16:34:27 EDT 2013

Politicians stay in power by buying cronies.  They make the favors for these few look good,  good to groups in the populace.  So, they get crony funding and popular support.  These bought cronies are usually big businessmen who would usually fail by being inept or crooked.  The result is big power in states and bad management in a fifth of the big businesses.  To compete, some other businesses have to play along.

This is enabled by those of the populace who love states or worship states.  The process is also helped by those who are would-be petty dictators and like the idea of a mechanism where they can control others.

So, all over the world as states grow in power,  we see the state as a growing burden in our lives.

But, relying less on the state means a better understanding of property.  The example of politicians helping cronies by building a mall is a good example.  Who owns the park?  Who owns the trees?  Who has the say?  Is it jointly owned by all the people?  Are pieces owned by individuals?  Does the politician own it?  The many answers people have for these questions muddy the water and creates confusion as we look for freedom and a lesser role of the state in our lives.

However, for most people of the world, the state is the highest authority, the determiner of right and wrong, the bringer of blessings, the blesser of actions.  As much as we feel for your plight, most people will see the state as the one in the right by definition.  Only by a change in this view can you gain world sympathy.  (Of course, some might pretend a sympathy in state-vs-state contexts.)

So, my heart goes out for you.  But, I don't think we are going to see much of a positive view around the world, unless a few politicians try to exploit the situation.

I wish you well.

Dar