[ANN] Help with a LiveCode Presentation/Demo

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jun 5 11:57:45 EDT 2013

Monte Goulding wrote:
 > On 05/06/2013, at 4:54 PM, Peter W A Wood wrote:
 >
 >> It may be a very poor test but it shows how much faster JavaScript
 >> can be when compared to LiveCode (and hence the dangers of such
 >> comparisons).
 >
 > If you change your code to use put "!" after tHW (which is more
 > similar to +=) it only takes 165 milliseconds in LC.

Good catch, Monte.  Not only does it produce the same result as the JS
code (which is working with MUCH smaller data), but some years ago Dr.
Raney optimized the allocations triggered by "put...after" so it's a
very good choice for such operations.

Most interesting to me is how your time compares with Peter's JS time of
145 milliseconds:

JavaScript engines have many millions of dollars invested in them by
some of the world's most powerful tech giants (Apple, Google, Mozilla
Foundation, and more), while LC has been the work of just a handful of
people.

After all the resources put into bringing JavaScript to where it is
today, that LC can perform more or less on par with it is nothing short
of astounding.

And LC has only been open for a few weeks; this is just the beginning....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World