[ANN] Help with a LiveCode Presentation/Demo

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 02:07:11 EDT 2013

Folks,

I've volunteered to give a presentation/demo of LC Community at an up
coming Mac User Group meeting.

In preparation for this I've thrown together a very rough history and
feature set of HyperCard, SuperCard, MetaCard, Revolution/LiveCode. It can
be found here; as an anyone (you) can edit Google Spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqkz0MzC98e6dGNpcnhBR0VsQjRuOU92RDhPRWN2dnc&usp=sharing

NOTE: there are 2 sheets, 1 = history, 2 = features

I make no claim to it's accuracy, which is why, if anyone here would like
to correct my entries, feel free. The availability of info on what occurred
at the various major upgrades 2.0 - 5.5 of Revolution is fairly scant; but
I'm not actually too concerned about that, I think I have enough info about
where we started from and where we are now.

The bit I'd really like input is 'Sheet2' which is a comparison chart. I'm
after any LC features that you find indispensable - and if you know if the
other development environments have it. I'm hoping to use this as a bit of
a teaser. Personally, when I discovered Revolution's 'switch' statement,
and database capabilities, I was a kid in a candy store. Those, plus
'repeat for each' and HTTP will definitely be making an appearance in my
presentation. So I don't need generic 'the language is easy to read', or
'it cuts my development time in half', but specific commands or features
that are compelling to you, as these may spark an interest in others.

I notice that the claim of MetaCard being 30 times faster than
JavaScript/Shell dates back to 1996. Since then I'm aware of at least 2
major engine improvements to Rev/LC. Anyone have any idea of how much
faster LC is today? Empirical evidence not required, best guesstimate fine
by me.

Thanks