Open Source plugins and externals

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Tue Jul 30 19:18:38 EDT 2013

On 31/07/2013, at 9:01 AM, Peter Haworth wrote:

> Not entirely on topic but on reading the animation engine post on the forum
> about this, I note that there is a source code repository for folks who
> would like to make changes to the open source version.  Is this a
> requirement of supplying an open source version of a plugin, or is it valid
> to simply supply the source code and tell everyone they're free to make
> changes to their own version?

There's lots of different open source licenses but I don't think I've ever read one that said you were required to accept contributions. Actually the LiveCode IDE is a good example of this right now and probably for a significant amount of time into the future. If you do allow people to make contributions make sure you have a contributor agreement in place so you have a license to distribute the contributions.

Cheers

--
M E R Goulding
Software development services