Replicant

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 13:29:53 EDT 2013

On 07/27/2013 07:44 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
> The FSF has started fundraising to expand the reach of Replicant, an
> open-source version of Android. Currently running on 10 mobile
> devices, Replicant replaces the non-OSS parts of the Android operating
> system with free replacements. F-Droid is also available, and can be
> installed on any Android system now.
>
> https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/donate-to-replicant-and-support-free-software-on-mobile-devices
> https://f-droid.org/

After a bit I get a bit sick of Stallman's galloping fundamentalism
(oddly enough he does
look like a chubby version of both John Knox and Osama bin Laden; 2 men
who exerted a distinctly baleful influence in their time).

If you believe the GNU rant the fact that an operating system contains 1
non-Open Source component
imperils us beyond belief: this is palpable "bollo":

"Even one such program in a phone's application space is enough to
threaten our freedom and security"

Oh Pish!

---------------

How is running my Closed source Devawriter Pro (made with Livecode 4.5
commercial) on your
Linux box (cough, cough, sorry, "GNU/Linux" even though the GNU thang is
unfinished after a
million years we cannot be seen to give lots of credit to Linus Torvalds
who managed to do something
without licking the lotus feet of Guru Stallman) going to imperil your
existence, or, for that matter, your
freedom?

All the Free Software Foundation guff reads like rant with not much by
the way of logical underpinning.

-------------

"it only takes one open backdoor to gain access"

that is a truism used disingenuously. I can make a bit of Closed Source
software that does NOT allow
hackers to muck around in a system it is installed on, and, equally
well, I can make a bit
of Open Source that DOES allow hackers to muck around.

The difference is NOT between Closed and Open source software, the
difference IS between sloppy
and/or deliberately naughty programming and careful programming.

But this is the sort of 'argumentation' that cults use (e.g. ISKCON,
Scientology, the Moonies) to justify
their brainwashing and other criminal activities. Stallman and his merry
band are not doing themselves
an favours (one of the reasons they are ignored to a large extent).

What the advantage of "F-Droid" (I wonder what the 'F' stands for???)
over Android is is hard to see:

Aah, Yes; it runs on far fewer machines: Got to be good.

Richmond.