How to manage file name containing a date with /

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Mon Jul 22 11:05:15 EDT 2013

On Jul 22, 2013, at 8:36 AM, André Bisseret wrote:

> Thanks Dar for your prompt reply
>
> Le 22 juil. 2013 à 15:16, Dar Scott a écrit :
>
>> André,
>>
>> I'm not sure why this will not work to create the file name:
>>
>> get "Joe PATIENT - bio checkup - 09" & numToChar(240) & "2013.pdf"
>>
> I am doing something similar :
> put quote & numToChar(240) into tVar

put numToChar(240) into tVar

> replace ":" with tVar in tDocName
> so that I obtain the same tDocName as those you are suggesting
> then I build the filename of the document (the document is in the same folder as the stack from which I try to launch it)
> so I put the fileName of this stack into tPath
> set the itemdel to slash
> then I put tDocName into last item of tPath
> so that I get something like "C:/Users/aBisseret/…/…/Joe PATIENT - bio checkup - 09"ð2013.pdf
> but then
> launch document tPath does not work!

That is what I was suggesting, with the fix above.  But, now I have less faith in that.  It might be that that character is not really there but is displayed by Windows Explorer.

>> I think I might not be understanding the situation.  Are these all files on a network file server or a portable storage?  They look one way (with colons) on a Mac (with colons) and look another way on Windows (with the dot)?
>>
> A folder "Joe PATIENT" is on the disk of the computer. In this folder there is a sub-folder where are a stack say "Consultation Joe PATIENT" and, at the same level, the documents (files) that concerns him (a dozen or so)
> On the stack "Consultation Joe PATIENT" there are "buttons" (kind of) , one for each document the name of which being a custom property of the button.
> I am trying to launch these document in the script of these buttons.
>
> I hope I am not too obscure

I think I'm obtuse.  How did files with bad file names get created to begin with?

Or do you think that there is a file "2013.pdf" in the folder named ""Joe PATIENT - bio checkup - 09"?  Then maybe a slash would work.  The colon is the old path segment divider for the Mac.