Mac to Chinese Windows--ASCII value greater than 127

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 02:42:33 EDT 2013

On 16/07/13 01:33, Peter Bogdanoff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having a problem where a compiled stack is showing high-ASCII characters improperly for users in China who are on Windows.
>
> This is text in fields that contain diacriticals. The stack was created on a Mac and text displays properly for Windows users in the USA.
>
> However, the couple of Windows users in China who are using the program to do a English to Chinese translation for us are seeing a Chinese character where there should be displaying a roman diacritical character.
>
> Is there something in their Chinese Windows installations that would cause this? They have downloaded and installed the Helvetica and Georgia fonts that we use.
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated.
>
> Peter Bogdanoff
> UCLA

I suspect you will have to convert everything to Unicode.

In fact, not to be blunt or anything, but making any sort of stack using
chars that are not in the first
ASCII set (1-127) without unicode is a pretty risky business.

Just now I am knocking together a little widget for people who want to
insert bits of Anglo-Saxon text
into their academic stuff (typing anything using chars above 127 is a
pain in all the office suites I know:
Callingra, OOO, Libre, Kingsoft, MSO, ThinkFree), and just for end users
to insert a thorn or an eth
requires unicode to be fully functional cross-platform.

Richmond.